By Request, A Capsule Wardrobe For SpeakersHumor
If you’re a blogger with any following, it won’t be long until you start to get emails from people who want you to write about their product or company or share their link or article. Typically, they can’t offer you compensation but they’ll be happy to promote your post on their social media channels where thousands of people might see it, or, they’ll give you a link on their website.
Typically, I don’t bother to respond to these solicitations because it’s apparent from the first sentence that the person emailing me hasn’t actually spent any time on my site. The last time I did engage with someone looking for a parenting posts, I was ultimately asked to write about baby gear. I had to remind this person that my baby was six. Clearly they weren’t the fan of my site they claimed to be.
1. So when Megan’s email showed up in my inbox, I was excited because I thought, “Finally, someone who understands me and my blog!”
2. Megan was asking me to write about capsule wardrobes! As long time readers will remember, I am an expert on mom fashion, which was detailed in my very popular SAHM capsule wardrobe post.
I excitedly sent her a link and anxiously waited to hear if a deal could be struck between her employer and my blog for a lucrative amount of social media exposure!
3. I was so happy when she finally responded!
A capsule wardrobe for speakers? I’m on it Megan!
4. First, here is the outfit I wear for speaking events that pay actual money, as opposed to impromptu rants at Denny’s. Typically a pencil skirt and my black button down shirt. The glitter clogs are my lucky speaker shoes. I stuff my bra with plastic grocery bags in case I feel the urge to throw up due to nerves. Usually the microphone can’t pick up the crinkling, but even if it does, it makes for an easy transition into a Q&A session.
5. I also do online talks via Skype or Google Hangout and for those, I typically keep the top half of my first outfit while adding in other components of my SAHM capsule wardrobe.
All business upstairs, with maximum comfort and annoying pets, screaming children, and mounds of laundry and crinkled tissues downstairs.
6. When I’m asked to speak at a mom’s group or homeschooling function, I don’t want to give the impression that I’m better than anyone, a “know it all” or someone who keeps up on current events and life outside the four walls of my house. That’s why I choose to wear the always relatable and timeless denim jumper, tie dye, stained bathrobe combo. I like to top it off with a messy bun that says “Unwashed hair- don’t care!”
Oh yeah, those are 100% wool knee high socks and the side of that jumper is held together with a safety-pin. It’s hard to get out the door in this outfit when my husband’s home, if you know what I’m saying. #modestishottest For dramatic effect I keep Lego bricks and naked Barbies in the pockets to throw at moms who may try to fall asleep during one of my talks.
7. Finally, when I’m asked to speak at religious events, I like to channel St. Francis of Assisi who was known to preach to the birds and fishes when people wouldn’t listen to him talk. He wouldn’t shut up, and neither do I!
Here I am communing with nature and spreading the Good News to our chickens (which are hiding off camera due to the gusty snowstorm, but believe me, they were moved to clucks of joy by the time I was done speaking!). This outfit features a Franciscan inspired tunic made from a brown fitted sheet and pillowcase. This is a great space saver option as it means I can store this outfit in the linen closet rather than my dresser. #minamalism #konmariyourwardrobe
I accessorized with some St. Francis approved sandals and a belt borrowed from my Easter dress. Due to the extreme weather, I layered with some pieces from my daily capsule, but I think the tie dye shirt and wiener dog pants really tie into the whole St. Francis theme anyway.
If you’re thinking about speaking, know that looking presentable doesn’t have to break the bank! It’s easy to use pieces you already have, along with some household linens, to create a wardrobe for any occasion!
What fashion advice would you like to offer? Write it down then link it up below. Be sure to include a link back to this post so your readers can find the rest of the Quick Takes. I look forward to reading your posts!
You might also like to read...
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.