1. ROAD TRIP!
Things I love about road trips:
arriving at the destination and visiting with family
Things I hate:
everything else about sitting in a van with six other people for 16 hours
Highlights have included:
2. Doing the drive in one day because damnit, Tony and I are beasts behind the wheel. Beasts who have to reassure the children we still love each other, and them, even though we yelled the whole way through Indiana. (Seriously Indiana, WTH is up with your road construction this summer???)
3. The Milwaukee Art Museum, although there were several times I was afraid Fulton and Teddy were going to destroy some modern art with their chairs simply because they didn’t realize that thing right there was something important to be avoided.
4. Brewers baseball game. A major league game we can all afford to attend, AND they sell buffalo chicken fries and hard soda???? Also, three home runs. I was in heaven. Meanwhile, the kids made it to the eighth inning only because of Pokemon Go!.
5. Lake Michigan beaches and the tons of smooth rocks Teddy made me collect and schlep across hot sand in my bag. He’s already forgotten them I’m sure.
6. Instagram Stories; thank goodness – a proper substitute for Snapchat. I’ve been recording all the details, a.k.a. all the ways I’m disappointing my kids this week, with Stories and just when I think, hmmm, maybe that wasn’t that funny or necessary, it’s gone.
7. Cheese curds and friendly people with Wisconsin accents. I wanted to hug a couple at the beach and tell them how cute they sounded dontchaknow!?! No one shows up in NJ and thinks anything remotely similar. I’ll try to buy curds in bulk for the drive home, but chances are I will eat them all in line at the checkout.
(Oh, and robbers and miscellaneous felons; we have people at our house + no valuables so, don’t bother.)
Next week I’ll be back with (hopefully) a couple more posts about special needs parenting. Thanks to everyone who stopped by to say hi and listen to me prattle on at the IHM Conference in Dobbs Ferry, NY last weekend. I have a couple small events coming up but I’d love to speak at your event too. Shoot me an email and let’s plan something!
Are you still in summer mode or starting back at school? Be sure to write it down then link it up below! I look forward to reading your posts!